Germany to build a military base in Turkey
- Spiegel magazine reported that Germany is spending $73.7 million to build a new air base in Turkey.
- It will be built at the site in Incirlik where the Bundeswehr (German Army) is currently flying reconnaissance and refueling missions into Syria.
- The German Ministry of Defense expects its military campaign against the Islamic State will drag on, and therefore believes it needs to provide some more permanent solutions.
- One politician expressed surprise at how quickly Germany has been able to turn Europe’s initial reaction to the Paris attacks into a long-term military presence in Turkey.
- Is this part of Germany’s whirlwind strategy?