Chinese President Xi Jinping made a global rallying call Wednesday for countries to adopt Beijing style internet governance.
- Xi Jinping: “The development of the internet knows no international boundaries. The sound use, development and governance of the internet thus calls for closer cooperation.”
- Xi repeated China’s pledge to “promote equitable global internet governance” while upholding “cyber sovereignty.”
- This month: China’s parliament adopted a cybersecurity law critics say could shut foreign businesses out of various sectors in China.
- 40 international groups and technology organizations condemned the law which introduces sweeping surveillance measures.
- Beijing: law was designed to root out cybersecurity threats in “critical” industries.