Washington officials believe it means the Iranian nuclear deal is now finished.
Following Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s revelation of more than 100,000 documents detailing Iran’s longstanding and clandestine nuclear weapons program, many officials in Washington, D.C., are now certain President Donald Trump will walk away from the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action nuclear deal.
In a statement Monday afternoon, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said:
“I have personally reviewed many of the Iranian files. Our nonproliferation and intelligence officials have been analyzing tens of thousands of pages and translating them from Farsi. This analytical work will continue for many months. We assess that the documents we have reviewed are authentic.”
Pompeo said the U.S. is determining what the documents will mean for the future of the Iran nuclear deal, which only provided for sanctions relief in exchange for a temporary freeze on Iran’s nuclear weapons program. The Washington Free Beacon is reporting that the analysis is ongoing but the documents reviewed so far provide “new and compelling details about Iran’s past efforts to develop nuclear weapons deliverable by a Shahab-3 ballistic missile.”
Those officials interviewed from Capitol Hill and the White House compound all agreed, however: walking away from the JCPOA is now a foregone conclusion.
Full article: U.S. Confirms Iran Docs Authentic (TruNews)