Vladimir Putin said the rocket travels 20 times the speed of sound and has unlimited range
VLADIMIR Putin says Russia is developing an “unstoppable” nuclear cruise missile which cannot be intercepted by any anti-missile system on earth.
The newly developed intercontinental ballistic rocket with “unlimited range” was one of several unveiled by the Russian leader in his state of the nation address in Moscow.
They include a nuclear-powered cruise missile, a nuclear-powered underwater drone and new hypersonic missile which apparently have no equivalent.
Footage shown during his speech apparently showed the new “unstoppable” missile heading toward the United States as he promises to “neutralise” America’s missile defence.
“Russia remained a nuclear power but no one wanted to listen to us,” Putin, 65, told lawmakers. “Listen to us now.”
He said the hypersonic intercontinental rocket, known as the Avangard, is capable of travelling 20 times the speed of sound and strike “like a meteorite, like a fireball”.
Here are Putin’s most explosive claims from today’s speech
- Vladimir Putin has raised fears of a nuclear arms race in the 21st century
- He unveiled new, hypersonic nuclear weapons which have no equal
- The most frightening weapon he alluded to was a nuclear-powered cruise missile
- Putin said it can travel 20 times the speed of sound and strike “like a meteorite”
- He said the Avangard also has “unlimited range” and “cannot be intercepted”
- Putin also announced a nuclear-powered underwater drone and cruise missile
- The Russian leader emphasised the weapons have no equivalent in the West
- Putin vowed to wage nuclear war on the United States if Trump attacked first
- “We aren’t threatening anyone… we aren’t going to take anything from anyone,” he said
“It’s like a fireball guided to its target,” said Putin, who also announced Russia was working on laser weapons systems.
The Russian leader, who has been in power since May 2012, said the missile’s appearance is being kept under wraps.
Putin also announced a web contest to name a new, high-speed underwater drone which carries nuclear warheads and can destroy aircraft carriers and coastal facilities.
The Russian military has dubbed the shadowy vessels autonomous underwater vehicles (AUVs), allegedly capable of deploying missiles with a power of 100-megatons.
Putin said the new weapons make NATO’s US-led missile defence “useless”, effectively ending Western efforts to “contain” Russia.
He said: “I want to tell all those who have fuelled the arms race over the last 15 years, sought to win unilateral advantages over Russia, introduced unlawful sanctions.
“All you wanted to impede with your policies have already happened… You have failed to contain Russia.”