Announcement comes day after Pyongyang said it is ready to launch ‘satellites’ on long-range rockets
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — A day after threatening rocket launches, North Korea declared Tuesday that it has revamped and restarted all its atomic bomb fuel production plants.
The back-to-back announcements, which many outside analysts consider threats designed to spur talks with the United States that could eventually provide impoverished North Korea with concessions, will push Pyongyang further toward a standoff with Washington and its allies.
The North said in its state media that its plutonium and highly enriched uranium facilities at the main Nyongbyon nuclear complex had been “rearranged, changed or readjusted and they started normal operation.”
On Monday, Pyongyang warned that it is ready to launch “satellites” aboard long-range rockets that the West considers banned long-range missiles meant to eventually threaten America’s mainland with atomic bombs. The North says the launches would mark the ruling communist party’s anniversary next month.
Full article: North Korea says it has restarted all nuclear bomb fuel plants (The Times of Israel)