(Reuters) – Russia’s military may be taking advantage of a recent lull in fighting in eastern Ukraine to lay the groundwork for a new military offensive, NATO’s top commander told the U.S. Congress on Thursday.
U.S. Air Force General Philip Breedlove, the NATO supreme allied commander, said Russian forces had been seeking to “reset and reposition” while protecting battlefield gains, despite a fragile ceasefire agreed in February.
“Many of their actions are consistent with preparations for another offensive,” Breedlove said.
Pressed during the hearing, Breedlove acknowledged he could not predict Moscow’s next move but characterized its ongoing actions as “preparing, training and equipping to have the capacity to again take an offensive.”
“In the past they have not wasted their effort,” Breedlove told the Senate Armed Services Committee.
“We do see a very distinct Russian set of command and control in the eastern part of Ukraine,” he said.
“Command-and-control, air defense, support to artillery, all of these things increased … making a more coherent, organized force out of the separatists.”
Full article: Russia may be readying for new Ukraine offensive: NATO commander (Reuters)