- Gary Devore, writer of Raw Deal and Time Cop, disappeared in June 1997
- He had finished script alleging ulterior motive for US invading Panama
- Body was found a year later in California Aqueduct but raised questions
- His hands were missing from the car, his script was never found
- There was widespread speculation the CIA was connected to his death
- Now a former White House official has confirmed Devore was working with the agency in Panama
- Coroner revealed the hands sent for autopsy were 200 years old
When the skeletal remains of Hollywood screenwriter Gary Devore were found strapped into his Ford Explorer submerged beneath the California Aqueduct in 1998 it brought an end to one of America’s most high profile missing person cases.
The fact that Devore was on his way to deliver a film script that promised to explain the ‘real reason’ why the US invaded Panama, has long given rise to a slew of conspiracies surrounding the nature of his ‘accidental’ death.
Now the Daily Mail can exclusively reveal that Devore was working with the CIA in Panama and even a White House source concedes his mysterious death bears all the hallmarks of a cover-up.
The findings, published in a new documentary The Writer With No Hands, are the first testimonies ever aired that give credence to the theories that surrounded the case in the late 90s.
According to Devore’s widow Wendy, there was a constant stream of phone calls from CIA officials in the month leading up to Devore’s death.
She told DailyMail.com: ‘When we first married he told me he got a lot of calls from government agencies. He told me to ignore it, so I did. If the phone rang, I could take a message or say he was out, but not to speak to them really.
‘We had a few at first, then not very many. Then in the last month one man was calling all the time.
‘He was dealing in things that you’re not necessarily supposed to deal in.
‘I found out a lot of people in Hollywood had these connections with the CIA and knew things that will never be made public.
‘After he disappeared, things just didn’t add up.
‘It’s very easy to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but when you’re married to someone you know little things about them that seem insignificant but are actually crucial. I know there are things that don’t add up.’
Full article: EXCLUSIVE: Screenwriter mysteriously killed in 1997 after finishing script that revealed the ‘real reason’ for US invasion of Panama had been working for the CIA… and both his hands were missing (Daily Mail)