“In the new phase of our century-long anti-U.S. struggle, we do not hide that various satellites, long-range rockets that we will continue to launch and high-level nuclear test we will conduct will target our sworn enemy, the United States,” the North’s National Defense Commission said in a statement carried by the official Korean Central News Agency.
A series of signs and analyses also point to an imminent third nuclear test.
South Korean intelligence sees the North as technically ready to detonate another fission bomb at its Punggye-ri test site with a tunnel and related equipment already installed.
Seoul’s Defense Ministry said earlier in the day that North Korea is “capable of testing its atomic weapons if the leadership decides to do so.”
After analyzing satellite images, the U.S.-Korea Institute at Johns Hopkins University said on Dec. 27 that the regime has repaired flood damage at its test site and may be able to trigger a detonation in as little as two weeks.
Full article: N.K. threatens ‘high-level’ nuclear test ‘targeting U.S.’ (The Korea Herald)